The basic idea of the programme is to foster knowledge and understanding by facilitating exchanges of faculty between two departments in different continents in the South. Such an exchange could include the funding of books and an exchange of literature. The programme is based on the following principles:
- A university department in the South with an interest in inviting a colleague from another continent in the South submits a vacancy to the Sephis secretariat. Eligible as hosts are social science and history departments; eligible as visiting faculty are historians or historically-oriented social science scholars.
- Submissions should include the following elements:
a) a letter from the host institution taking responsibility for the proper conduct of the exchange
b) a profile of the visiting member of faculty
c) an outline of a teaching curriculum ranging from 4-6 weeks
d) a budget which includes housing, air fare, insurance and a honorarium (up to a maximum of Euro 8.000)
e) the names of two senior faculty who will be part of the selection team.
- After approval by the SEPHIS Steering Committee, the Sephis coordinators (in Philippines and/or the Sephis centres) circulate a call for applications in the region from where the visiting lecturer is sought.
- Selection of the applications is done a by small committee consisting of the two senior faculty from the host university and two members from the applicants’ region. The latter two are appointed by Sephis.
- Faculty exchange does not necessarily require reciprocity between universities. The programme is exclusively demand-oriented and does not mediate for lecturers who would like to go to another university in the South for a while.
Applications should be sent to the Sephis Secretariat.